Dual screen tearing

Hi
we have managed to get our offline version to work with two monitors. 2xfullHD seems okay, but we wanted 2x 2560x1080 (21:9) displays, where we tried to play two 1280x1080 videos, and it started to tear. It looks like a sync issue between the screens. Have you ever seen this, and is there a solution?

I’ve seen this and it looks like there’s no way to fix this at the moment: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1583405#p1583405

We’ll have to wait for a firmware that fixes this issue.

What happens if you configure the Pi for dual 1280x1080 HDMI output? The visual result should be almost identical (the display does the scaling vs the Pi composer does the scaling). Can you try that?

Hi Florian
Just remembered this and wondered if they fixed this issue.
Or if they fixed the single 4K slot which prevents me from using 4K hevc to fill a 2560x1080 screen…

Thanks

Nope. With the FKMS approach, the tearing is still not fixed. I don’t think fully using KMS instead is an option as that’s still work in progress.

The single HEVC slot is an info-beamer implementation issue. Fixing that depends on yet another blocking issue: At some point in the future, video hardware decoding could be implemented using standard video 4 linux (V4L2) APIs. But that’s still work in progress.

The Pi4 is unfortunately still nowhere near a state where things just work. But that’s understandable, as they intend to move from the previous battle tested closed source decoder implementation that the Pi inherited from the previous use of the chip within set-top boxes to a fully open source implementation only used by the Pi. That unfortunately just takes a while. Longer than expected, but still…