EDID Emulators - Not required with info-beamer?

Hi, I may have to deal with existing installs that have EDID emulators installed, I assume they were added due to the use of PC’s/Graphics cards being used as the source and to prevent issues with the PC’s not ‘knowing’ what TV’s were connected due to the use of HDMI splitter or HDMI over CAT5 boxes.
If switching to an info-beamer powered setup I imagine that EDID emulators are no longer required as the Raspberry Pi can have it’s output resolution fixed in the device configuration page, and this will prevent any issues if a TV is turned off when a device is rebooted, as the Pi will continue to output at the fixed resolution regardless, and when the TV is switched on again/reconnected?

Correct. That should not be necessary. Alternatively, it might be possible to manually force the EDID information by placing a file named /config/edid.dat on the SD card and adding:

hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_edid_filename=/config/edid.data

to /config/userconfig.txt. I’m not entirely sure if that works though as the documentation maybe implies that this only works when also specifying the HDMI port. So maybe it requires :0 suffix and it doesn’t work on older models.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, in a sense the device configuration page acts as an EDID emulator for the Pi/info-beamer as it’s being told what video output settings to use.

Currently this type of EDID emulator is being used ( attached image ) for each of the outputs of the PC’s graphics card as otherwise the PC may not output the correct display settings.

This is also an additional cost for each installation that requires multiple HDMI outputs sent via splitters to multiple displays.