Fullscreen Browser: longer durations possible?

Hello everyone! I have a question regarding the Fullscreen Browser package: We would like to use it to display a dashboard (so only a single URL is shown in this setup). However, as it appears, the maximum duration for displaying a single page is 10 minutes. After that interval, the page refreshes.

This particular dashboard, however, takes a rather long time to load (up to 2 minutes), so having it refresh so often is not ideal. We would rather choose a larger time interval, e.g. 30 minutes or 1 hour. Is it possible to set a larger time interval somehow? The UI does not seem to allow that.

Thank you, and best regards
Aline

I’ve added 20 and 30 minutes (just click on Check for updates on the package page to import the update in your account), although I wouldn’t recommend using these settings as a failed initial page load then will wait for that long until it is retried again. Right now there’s no error detection, so you might end up with a blank screen for 30 minutes in the worst case. With a shorter durations, these temporary problems fix themselves quicker.

With regards to the long initial rendering times: You can try to set a difference performance mode for your Pi. If you visit its device page, click on Edit in the configuration section and switch performance from “Power Save” to “On Demand” or “Performance”. Can you give that a try and see if that makes a difference? I would expect it to be rather noticable.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply and for adding the new options!

I have now set my device to Performance mode - thanks for pointing out that this is possible! The page load time is indeed significantly better, it went from over 1 minute to roughly 30 seconds.

We are currently setting up our digital signage and testing all aspects, and we will determine a good balance for page refresh frequency that works for our case. I understand your comment about failed page loads and we will keep an eye on that, but with the still rather long loading time, we might opt for a longer duration.

Again, thanks a lot!

Im having an Issue where when my PI 4 refreshes the webpage, it goes white for 1 second while it refreshes the screen. unfortunately, that doesn’t work for me. I need the image to stay solid unless there is a change to the image.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Did you actually make the change mentioned in this thread? The browser starts loading the page 10 seconds before switching to it. So either the Pi is slow (see above) or your website is slow (you’ll have to fix that yourself). Do you use the browser to just show an image? Is not using the browser and instead using on of the other packages an option?

Update: It seems that the fullscreen browser for some reason started having a single frame of fullscreen white when switching between tabs, even if those are fully loaded. It’s not yet sure why that’s now the case.

Yes sir I did. I have my Raspberry Pi 4 setup in Performance mode. We get the image from a URL from our creative dept who updates the images from event to event.