GPS Location based playlist switching

We use a mobile display, would it be possible to switch playlists based on a current GPS location?

I was thinking of something like a geo-fencing system, that detected where the Pi was positioned, and upon entering or leaving a particular location, the playlist would be changed to a pre-determined playlist that matched the location zone.

I’ve done a proof of concept earlier this year. The configuration interface is a bit clunky but it works. It wouldn’t be too difficult to build a proper UI with a map and easier playlist management.

For the demo, an outside server was used running gpsd. Alternatively you could also configure the IP of a router that provided GPS coordinates. Doing everything purely on the Pi is probably possible as well. The main challenge there would be to find a GPS device that just works without complicated drivers or complex user land setup required. I don’t have any experience with that.

Here’s the UI:

1 Like

looks promising.

I was looking at tracking solutions for vehicles, and wondered if using one of their API’s would make this easier?

As long as you have any source of location that can be programmatically queried, it’s actually a pretty easy task. Using a package service fetches the location, the Lua code shows the appropriate content.

Hi Johnnie. Did you get this to work?
Am looking for a similar solution.

The code still isn’t publicly available, but I can put it on github in a way that it’s easily importable into any info-beamer account. The main issue would be fetching the GPS coordinates from somewhere. Initially the code was build as a small proof of concept were some external router provided GPS coordinates by network connection. If you want to connect a dedicated GPS receiver, things might be more complicated as that’s not something that’s readily available. Although as far as I understand it, it seems most GPS receivers provide information over a serial protocol via USB. And that looks fairly simple to parse.

Is there any service that you can provide to deploy this as a turnkey project for me?
Lacking the required technical skills and support :frowning:

If there’s only has to be a single type of GPS receiver to support and a known feature set that’s required, this could be a turn key solution. I suggest you get in contact with support to discuss details and costs.

Am trying to reach out on this, but dindt get any way on how to contact SUPPORT directly for this. Can you help provide contact details?

Have a look at https://info-beamer.com/contact

Is there an update on this?

I didn’t really have the impression that there was any demand for an actual project, so there was no progress at all. But I still have an u-blox GNSS USB receiver (similar to this one) laying around from back then and it should be fairly easy to make use of it. If you want to revive this attempt, let me know.

Yeah, I think I may have some potential use cases for it. However the vehicle it is in, has a tracker fitted. could this be utilised?

Depends :slight_smile:

Is there any programmatic way to access the coordinates? Preferably by some kind of network communication?