Scroller-bar for other Packages & PDF2Video access

Hi,
We are currently working on getting Info-Beamer rolled out in our Company.
(I love the new Playlist feature, its perfect for our use case)
There’s just 2 things I’m currently missing in Info Beamer:

1. Is it Possible to get scroller Bar like in the Reception screen Package in the HD Player Package?

2. This will probably be Obsolet at some point, according to the roadmap, but currently our plan is to get a 2nd account for our HR department (they’re responsible for the content) and give them a Restricted access to our main account, is there any way for them to upload Assets to the main Acc via the PDF2Video app? Currently i get a “cannot authorize app while accessing other accounts” warning when trying to use it. And if i authorize the app in the second Account the content gets uploaded to that second account.

Most likely. This is something that’s going to get added to the package that will replace and combine existing video wall packages as well as the scheduled player package. Stay tuned.

Unfortunately not. Accessing another account and using an OAuth app cannot be easily combined. I’ll have to think about this.

Boring technical details follow: Feel free to ignore :-): Normally OAuth apps request the permissions they require by specifying “scopes”. This then opens up a page like this to ask for the permissions requested by that app (The bullet points below “Example App will be able to”):

When you access another account, you already have active permissions that restrict what you can do in the other account. It’s not really possible to combine those permission with those requested by an app. So you’d have to use the permission you have for the other account and give those to the app. They would then most likely be either too narrow (if your access to the other account doesn’t allow an operation the app needs and the app might not work) or too broad (if you have full access to another account, the app would inherit that giving it too many permissions). The first is bad from a user-experience perspective, as it means the app might not be able to do its job. The second is bad for security, as a user might expose too much of their account access to an app.

Additionally there is no sensible way to save the permission request’s state somewhere: With normal app access to your own account, you’ll get a new self-access in your permissions page in the “Access to own account by authorized apps” section. Next time you open the app, the permission request dialog is skipped as your decision is now saved by that access. This also allows you to see which permissions you’ve granted and allows you to revoke access. All that’s not possible when accessing another account, as there can only ever be one way to access another account (for example you cannot invite the same user twice into your account). So the app would have to ask for permission every time you open it.

Hi, Thanks for the quick and detailed response.

does this mean that using the App would be Possible if the other account has the same permissions as the App?

Somewhat. It would in theory allow the app to do its job. But there is currently no OAuth flow that would allow the app to request that access. I’m currently figuring out if there is a way to make this work for a some limited apps. Stay tuned.

As of today, it’s now possible to use the PDF2MP4 app while accessing another account, provided that access have enough permissions to allow the app to work. In that case that’s the asset upload permission.

The mechanism grants a one hour valid token for the app to access the shared account and the feature is restricted to only the PDF2MP4 app at the moment. Still not sure if that’s the way forward, but for now that should work.

1 Like

Thanks for making it work!
just noticed a small bug.
If i give the account thats supposed to use the feature “Asset Administration” rights, everything works fine.
but if i give that Account “Asset Administration” rights with access to one folder removed, i get a “access to account denied” message, which i can just click away with “OK” and upload anyways

Right. You also need to add the Account info read policy to your ACL as well, otherwise the app doesn’t know anything about the account its accessing using. I guess it technically doesn’t need to know, but currently it’s using that to show the email address.