Stand-alone on pi3 : No audio -SOLVED-

Running stand-almone on pi3/PiOS (buster), latest buster info-beamer standalone pacake : no audio played out (HDMI or local).
Audio parameter is enable when loading the video ressource.
No error on console.

omxplayer on the videofile is working with audio.

How can I debug this ?

Thanks in advance
Evariste

Did you set the environment variable INFOBEAMER_AUDIO_TARGET=hdmi before launching info-beamer? If not, the info-beamer process does not know where to send the audio output. I guess it should at least print a warninng in that case. Putting that on the TODO list.

Yes, I try with both : INFOBEAMER_AUDIO_TARGET=hdmi and INFOBEAMER_AUDIO_TARGET=local.

Ok. Can you run with INFOBEAMER_LOG_LEVEL=3 and paste the output up to the video loading log line?

That log output doesn’t use INFOBEAMER_LOG_LEVEL=3. How exactly do you start info-beamer? Because this won’t work:

$ INFOBEAMER_LOG_LEVEL=3     # This does NOT work!
$ ./info-beamer /some/path

The first line sets the environment variable, but it’s not inherited to the execution of info-beamer in line two. Instead you have to use:

$ export INFOBEAMER_LOG_LEVEL=3
$ ./info-beamer /some/path

or

$ INFOBEAMER_LOG_LEVEL=3 ./info-beamer /some/path

This probably also explains the missing audio.

My script is
!/bin/sh
export INFOBEAMER_AUDIO_TARGET=hdmi
#export INFOBEAMER_AUDIO_TARGET=local
export INFOBEAMER_LOG_LEVEL=3
sudo ./info-beamer valise

OK, now…seems that I needed to export as su !
I have now audio and leveldebug=3.
And AUDIO is working NOW !

OK solution (if could help anyother with same trouble)

#!/bin/sh

export INFOBEAMER_AUDIO_TARGET=hdmi
export INFOBEAMER_LOG_LEVEL=3
sudo -E ./info-beamer path/to/node

Thanks for the update. sudo by default doesn’t pass on environment variables as that’s a security risk: Modifying PATH could make it point to /tmp and then you could place fake ls or other tools there.

In general I would recommend to run the info-beamer call script directly as root and avoid sudo within the script altogether.