Setup scheduling

(image generate with stable diffusion)

Yesterday a new feature was added to info-beamer: The ability to schedule setups. Right now this feature isn’t generally available, but if you’re interested, see below. The feature is now available to all users. Click on the Setup scheduling… button on the setup list page.

The new scheduling feature allows you to automate which setup plays on which device at a certain time. So you can, for example, automatically assign one setup in the morning and another one in the evening. The fact that one device runs one setup at any time remains unchanged, so existing integrations do not have to change anything. The new feature merely automates switching between setups according to a schedule.

Overview

Let’s have a look at the schedule list page:

You see all the schedules you’ve created in your account. Clicking on a schedule name jumps to the schedule detail page for that schedule:

There’s a lot here, so let’s walk through:

• The breadcrumb navigation at the top allows you to return to the schedule list. The Assign to device button allows you to assign the schedule to your devices (more on that later) and also shows you how many device currently use the schedule (0 in this case)
  • In the playback preview you can see which content will be active within a selectable day, week or month. You can switch between preview range as well as the date you want to preview.
  • The Default setup specifies which setup will play on a device by default if no other setup is scheduled. All schedules must have a default setup.
  • The Slots allow you to add additional scheduled setups to your schedule. In the example above only the info-beamer Logo setup was added. Using the coloring you see when this setup will be active (as opposed to the default setup) in the playback preview above.
  • Slots can also contain other schedules. When embedding another schedule this way, all the scheduled setups within the embedded schedule will be added to the schedule.

Embedding

Embedding a schedule within another schedule allows you to reuse schedules and avoids duplicate maintenance when applying changes. You can, for example, have one schedule that is the default of what you want to play across multiple devices. If you then have a single device that should, for example, play a different setup in the morning, you can create a special schedule for that specific device, add the specific schedule and then embed the default schedule. As an example, have a look at the following schedule:

This schedule uses the setup Demo1 as default setup. During the day it will play the In-Store Dev setup. It also embeds the Night content schedule already shown in the preview screenshot. You can see how its slots (shown in pink) are embedded within this schedule. When embedding a schedule, the default setup of the embedded schedule is ignore and only the explicitly scheduled setups are used in the embedding schedule.

Also note that in this example the setup In-Store Dev is scheduled multiple times. This can be useful if you want to apply more than one scheduling rule (more on that later) to a single setup. The slots can be reordered using drag and drop to change their priority.

Nesting of embedded schedules is limited to three levels.

Scheduling

Each setup added to a schedule as its individual scheduling information. Here is how the dialog for editing this information looks like for one of the In-Store Dev setups used in the above example:

In the schedule editor you first specify the setup you want to schedule. In-Store Dev in this example. Next you specify the time frame and a starting date. In the example I’ve specified Week and April 11th. Finally you specify if the schedule should repeat. This allows you to create repeating schedules.

Finally in the calendar view below you specify the active time spans within the set time frame. In the example I’ve marked the setup as active in the week of April 11th on Tuesday to Sunday between 6am and 7pm. You can use the mouse to easily create new time spans or edit the existing ones.

Assigning to devices

When you’re done creating a schedule, it’s time to apply it to one or many of your devices. Clicking on the Assign to device button does that. You’ll return to the device list page and can now click on the Assign button on individual devices or select one or many devices and click on the big Assign to devices button.

Once you assign a schedule to a device, it will almost immediately switch to the scheduled setup specified in the schedule. One final setting required for that is each device’s timezone. By default all devices start in the “UTC” timezone. If you select one or more device, a Set timezone… button is shown above the device list. Clicking it allows you to change the timezone of the selected device.

You can add the same schedule to multiple device in different timezones and they will be scheduled according to their local time.

Beta test

If you’re interested in trying out this feature, please get in contact. Be aware that the scheduling might not work 100% reliable at the moment and you might still encounter issues when using the new feature. There might also be changes to the feature itself, potentially requiring you to reconfigure any schedule you create. So you might not want to use it on any important device. What I’m trying to say: This is a beta. Feedback is very welcome.

The future

Setup based scheduling is only part one of adding more native scheduling abilities to info-beamer. The next step will likely be adding a native schedule config element. This can then be used within a default setup configuration interface to schedule individual pieces of content. Both setup scheduling and the asset based scheduling should add plenty of options to schedule your content the way you intend to.

3 Likes

So that feature will substitute what externally is done by PipeDream?

Yes. It replaces the workaround from Creating a Schedule of Device Assignments.

1 Like

Finally it is happening. Good times ahead. I knew it was the winning horse InfoBeamer

I’ve added you to the beta test. You can reach the scheduling using the Setup scheduling… button on https://info-beamer.com/setups.

Will it be possible to also add a “poweroff” period, where the screen will be powered off? I’m currently running a couple of custom setups for the only reason to switch content on a specific time of the day - but i also need to shut off the screens at night.

I assume we’d have to create a “power saver” setup, thats 100% powered off, then switch to that using the schedule?

I assume we’d have to create a “power saver” setup, thats 100% powered off, then switch to that using the schedule?

That would be the most explicit way to solve this, yes. The alternative is to have the setup that’s active during the night include the power saver package.

1 Like

I did that to with my player on RPi Zero W. I created “poweroff” setup, and switch to that. Setup scheduling works great.

Maybe timeslots of 5mins, instead of 15mins, would be better.

You can use smaller timeslots: Hold Shift while dragging a timeslot to prevent it from snapping to the default 15 minute intervals. Unfortunately without the ability to zoom in it might be a bit fiddly to do so.

1 Like

Thank you for information. Yeah, it can be fiddly, but I assume everyone is creating/editing it on laptops/tablets, not some small screen smartphones, so it’s so fiddly.

A compromise might be to add a way to specify start/end time of a span explicitly in a popup or similar instead of having to pixel-perfectly drag the edges.

1 Like

I see that you have implemented this feature of specifying start/end time of a span explicitly. This is great.

Oops. My bad. Should have announced that (and probably a range of other non-obvious improvements) here.

1 Like

It’s a nice feature so it’s not bad that it wasn’t announced.

Hello, we are using this new module and we thank you for this development. Can we also consider having a daily schedule? without the year. Example: every August 15 every year? We publish the day saints and it would avoid us to program the 365 days every year. Thanks to you

Actually that’s already possible if I understand you correctly:

1. Select “Month”
  2. Select the month of the first occurrence (so August 1st in your case)
  3. Select “[X] Repeats”
  4. Click on “every”, then select “month (specify)”
  5. Finally in the 31 days below the option, click on the day number on the left to mark the whole day as active.

The scheduling engine of info-beamer is pretty powerful and not all abilities are exposed through the user interface. In your case there is now a potentially easier alternative available for once-every-year events:

1. Select “Day”
  2. Select the date of the first occurrence.
  3. Select “[X] Repeats”
  4. Click on “every”, then select “every year”
  5. Then mark the hours or use the new “Tools” dropdown and select “Fill”
1 Like

Hello, thank you for your answer. We use the “Scheduled player” packages. And we can’t find “day or month”. Only in "content cycle
What did we do wrong ?
Where is the schedule editor ?
Thanks

Nothing. At the moment the “scheduled player” package implements its own scheduling feature. This was from way before info-beamer added scheduling as a new core feature. The scheduling within the “scheduled player” is a bit more limited unfortunately. There isn’t a way to specify a “once per year repeating” event.

One future step is to upgrade the scheduling within the scheduled player to use the new scheduling abilities now provided by info-beamer itself. But that’s not done yet.